The Joseph City Park Playground is in need of an upgrade. And by May of 2017, our community will have a new playground.
The community of Joseph, Oregon is rehabilitating the City Park playground. The playground equipment is beyond its life expectancy and in need of replacement. Additionally, the playground does not meet access requirements for the American Disabilities Act (ADA) or industry standards for health/safety.
The project was started by 5 Joseph Charter School 8th graders in the spring of 2015. In the fall of 2015, the Joseph City Park Playground Steering Committee (Committee) was formed, The Committee is composed of members of the City of Joseph Gov't, Joseph Charter School (teachers & students), Building Healthy Families (non-profit), and interested community members. The Committee has contracted with Play By Design, LLC, to design a play place that meets access and safety requirements, as well as oversee the build process. The playground will consist of play structures, natural play features, and a splash pad.
The construction of the playground will be a community process. For 6 days, April 25-30, 2017, volunteers within our community will work together with Play By Design and the Committee to build the playground. Volunteers will also prepare food for the laborers, as well as provide child care.
FUNDRAISING TO DATE:
The years of joy this new playground will bring to the community of Joseph and surrounding areas will far exceed the price tag. Play By Design, working with the Joseph City Park Playground Renovation Steering Committee and the students of the Joseph Charter School, has developed a design that incorporates not only ADA access and health/safety requirements, but also an imaginative, engaging play space where children will play for hours at a time.
JCP Playground Renovation Steering Committee
Marla Dotson (Co-Chair)
Penny Arentsen (Co-Chair)
The budget for the new playground is $225,000. This value does not include the direct In-Kind donations to the project, valued at over $50,000. The Steering Committee is spear-heading the fundraising and, to date, has raised over $199,000. Funds are being sought through grants, direct asks, and private donations. To date, here are a few of the entities that have supported the project. A complete list of Playground Element Sponsors can be found on our Support the Project Page.
- Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (Local Government Grant): $131,582
- Nancy and Carl Lincoln: $25,000
- Wallowa County, OR Board of Commissioners: $10,000
- Cycle Oregon Fund: $9,000
- Wildhorse Foundation: $8,500
- Students & Teachers at the Joseph Charter School: $5,333 ($2K from the Music Department)
- K-6 students held a Walk-A-Thon and a Music Program Fundraiser to raise money for the playground
- Oregon Community Foundation: $5,000
- Daggett Properties: $5,000
- City of Joseph, Oregon: $2,500
- Rotary of Wallowa County: $2,500
- Winding Waters Clinic: $1,950
- Community Bank: $1,600
- Mad Mary's: $1,600
- Northwest Farm Credit Services: $1,500
- Bronze, Blues, and Brews Board: $1,000
- Pacific Power Foundation: $1,000
- Bank of Eastern Oregon: $550
And thank you to those who have made IN-KIND donations to the playground:
- Kathy & Scott Siebe
- Cindy & Greg Brink, Wallowa River Camp Resort
- Julie & Jim Zacharias
- JZ Lumber
- Ember's Brewhouse
- Old Town Cafe
- LD Perry Construction
- Gibson Excavating
- Borgerding Construction
- Northwest Fence
- Eastern Oregon Landscaping
- Enterprise Electric
- Kevin Harlander, Tamarack Group
- Wallowa Associates
- Bronze Antler Bed & Breakfast
- Winding Waters River Expeditions
- List not complete
Local fundraising is ongoing through Sponsorship of Play Elements.